Thursday 5 February 2015

William Morris VS Eyvind Earle

Beginning of this project, I started off with creating 2 A3 sheets for my artist research. With these artist research sheets, I tried making them simple as possible. By adding a couple of images of their work that inspire me and then adding a few lines of information about the artist and their work. I do think that I could have added some background colour to my sheets, but instead I drawn a couple of images to fill up some blank spaces. I could work back into my work by drawing more images, make it stand out a little more. Because the images i printed out, are mostly taking over my sheets instead.
Secondly, i began drawing in my sketchbook. Through the 4 weeks, we've started this project i have done more work in my sketchbook. Which i am very pleased about, because with previous projects we have been set. I have always done sheet work. My first page in my sketchbook i started with the title of project, with added sketches to make it look a little interesting.
Afterwards, i began my artist research pages beginning with William Morris. I do think i could go back and make my artist, research pages bit more colourful and outstanding. Because for both pages i drawn one piece of their work then added information about them at the side.
My next page was a piece of work by William Morris, i tried re-creating this piece but unfortunately i gave up very quickly. Because William Morris's work is all about patience, time, colour and neat. I'd managed to draw the flower which is in the middle, but around the flower is leave patterns and a couple of more flowers. During the time i was drawing it, i couldn't handle all the detail shown on image. So i left it, with the flower then added a black background which is shown on the image itself. Looking back at the drawing, i could now re-visit this page and add the detail i have missed off. Overall, i was pleased with the colour and detail i have drawn for the flower.
Next page, is a basic mind map all about William Morris and my chosen artist Eyvind Earle.
Afterwards, i cteated a moodboard with images of Eyvind Earle's work. Some designed on Disney films.
Then, for my next page i found a really intresting, detailed image by Eyvind Earle. The image is a forest, with snow covering most of the forest such as; trees, ground and leaves. It's set in night time, which gives it a great effect in my opinion. Because the snowy scenery is beautiful and Eyvind Earle has created a well detailed piece of work. Which i am proud of myself for re-creating it.
I then moved onto creating a moodboard for William Morris's work. Again, i chose a couple of images which really caught my eye.
Working through this project, i've started to take alot of intrest in Eyvind Earle's paintings. I find them really detailed and colourful. I find it infasinating aswell, on how he was the one who created scenes and backgrounds for Disney films. For this image it took me a while to re-create it. Because of the colours and the shapes. I had to blend some many colours such as; pinks, reds and purples. And use a ruler to make sure the buildings and roofs were the exact same. Overall, am really impressed how it's finished.
From all the looking and researching on Eyvind Earle, i decided to take a break from him and do some sketch work on William Morris. This page i spilt it into two sections, so i can draw one image on one side then another on the next. The images i'd chosen were templates that William Morris used for his wallpapers. I began by drawing them out in pencil then collage them in different materials. After that i went over the outlines in black marker to bring them out more. 
Furthermore, i did some more research on William Morris's work. By printing off more images, which i was intrested in. The three images i'd printed off were based on flower and pattern work. I split my page into three so i can stick my images down and then try re-creating them. Successfully, i managed to create them using a ordinary pencil and shading.
Here is another page of some William Morris's nature pieces. I printed two images which I look interested in and began to sketch them out. With various pages covered in watercolours or coloured pencils. I thought about doing black ink and shading for this page. Overall, it does look impressive in my opinion.
Next page, i wanted to do more Eyvind Earle's work. So i choose a image i liked then began to sketch it out. Then colour it in with watercolour paints, because the image has some colours which needed to be blended and mixed together. It isn't actually like the image, you can see the areas what needed adjusting. To be quite honest it was a hard image to re-create.
Further on the project, we was then told to work on Martha Armitage and her designs of wallpaper. To start this artist research, i began with creating a page with some facts and sketches about her work. Taken from this website http://hamiltonweston.com/ 
Part for the Martha Armitage research page, i printed some images off and stuck them down onto the page. Then, drew some sketches of Martha's work.
Our next artist to research was Timourous Beasties, which are two brothers who work as wallpaper and textile designers. 
There style of work is mostly pattern and repeating. They do use some bold colours such as; reds, blues, pinks, purples etc. For my next page of research, i printed off a image of bees. Which the Timourous Beaties use for repeating pattern. And i created my own next to it, but this time i used there company symbol for my repeating pattern. 
When looking through Timourous Beaties work, ive noticed some unusual images like there pattern and colour work. On the image it looks intresting, because of the affect it gives such as; paint running into different directions, giving off shapes and colours.
I tried attempting the same thing, but unfortanly the results i got wasn't what i expected.


After completing my research for Martha Armitage and Timourous Beasties. I began to look through my sketchbook from the beginning. And started to collect ideas for my canvas. My plan is to create two canvas's one with William Morris and Eyvind Earle's work mixed together. Then another one showing Martha Armitage and Timourous Beaties's work. I started to create a little idea page in my sketchbook.
I did attempt my first idea on my canvas, which was to have the similar background with the butterflies. But i added Buff Binder and collage to mine. I started off with a bright yellow colour, for my background colour. But it was too bright, so i toned it down a little. By adding green, to make it into Lime colour. Overall, which looks good.

Once the Buff Binder was dry and stuck down, then i drawn out my butterflies on newspaper. Followed by adding screwed up newspaper balls onto the butterflies, to make it look a little intresting. However, i did start to get fed up with looking at images and copying them into my style. So i decided to add something of my own, onto my canvas. I went out and bought some craft samples, which were flowers. And with the image showing a mature background. I added the flowers onto it, making it look 3D. 
Even though, my canvas was starting to look good. I still thought it needed more added to it, to help with the spare gaps. So i looked back at my idea page and Martha Armitage research. Collected some ideas and then drawn them out onto the canvas. I chosen felt tips for these drawings, because of the brightness they give also Martha using some bright colours in her work. 
With getting used to a canvas, i really wanted to create another one. But this time show William and Eyvind's work, all on one canvas like before. Again, i started off by creating a idea page on what is going to be on the canvas. 
Beginning with the image of Sleeping Beauty, through the window with the nature in the background. But only use the window and wall, then add the rose and the purple colour in the back into the window. Finishing off with the blue flower pattern inside the bricks. To make the wall stand out more, with the colour being black. Overall, am really impressed with myself on how i've created this canvas. Using pastels and coloured pencils, with not being confident using them. 
Next, we all had to create some samples made either by Lino, Tracings, Etchings etc. I decided to choose Lino cutting. Because Lino is great and better to create samples in my opinion. With just your drawing on the lino, cut how you want it to look with shading and dark areas. Then covering it with either one or two colours, after that placing under the roller to create a sample. My drawing was a tile called 'M' by William Morris. 
I started off with a bright green colour, but once i placed my lino under the roller. I was told by Lina (Printing Teacher) that bright green was never shown in William's work. His colours were more dark. So then i began mixing 2 to 3 colours to create the colours William used. Such as; Browns, Greys, Dark Greens, Maroon etc.
If i'd had to choose which piece of work i thought was brilliant, i would choose this one. 'Three Noble Horses' by Eyvind Earle. Because this piece took me a day and half, so many hours to create. I used acrylic paints and watercoloured paints, which these paints leave boldness and easy to blend with. Started off by sketching out the horses then finishing off painting in everything, leaving the background till last which i found easy.
Finally, came ideas for my final piece in this project. I chose to create a painting onto a canvas, i did some more research on Eyvind Earle's work. Eventually, i found a painting he created called 'Grey Mountains.' (As shown below.)
I re-created this image and then later on began painting it onto my canvas. I used watercolour paints and arcylic. Overall, i am really pleased with how my painting has turned out. It looks exactly like the image, but i did have an idea to add some of William Morris's patterns. Onto the painting so it shows two pieces of both artist's work, Eyvind Earle and William Morris. 

To make the canvas more like my work, i decided to add some William Morris's patterns. I added the patterns in some areas around the canvas, try to make it look intresting. Then all around the edges, overall i am very pleased how the canvas looks and how long it took me to create it. 


































No comments:

Post a Comment