Wednesday 25 February 2015

Evaluation Morris & Earle


                                                       Evaluation Morris & Earle

Throughout this project, all my research is Secondary. I took images from websites and learning more about the artists for this project. Such as; http://www.eyvindearle.com/, https://www.william-morris.co.uk/, https://uk.pinterest.com/melsmith97/william-morris-vs-eyvind-earle/. I didn’t go to any exhibitions to look further into my artists and support my research. All my research was based on the Internet. The elements from William Morris’s work that inspired me the most was the colours he chose. The colours were all calm and makes you feel relaxed, when you look at his work in my opinion. At first I didn’t have any idea on what artist to look at, others in my class were going for known artists like Salvador Dali, Peter Blake and Georgia O’Keefe. So I tried to be more creative and go for someone I have never heard of and try to learn new skills with this artist. Eventually, I found an artist called Eyvind Earle. He is well known for his designs in backgrounds for Disney films such as; Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Working with Peanuts. Some Disney films I didn’t even know about, which I was really impressed. Experimentation I created through this project was Lino printing. I traced an image of William Morris’s work onto the Lino, then cut away the parts that I wanted lighter and to show on the print. I experimented more with coloured Pastels, for a piece from Eyvind Earle’s work. I stretched an A3 board, quickly sketched out the image then began to colour in the image with pastels. It was hard for me to do, with the pastels being messy and smudges your work. So what I did to prevent the smudges from happening, I used some hairspray to spray over the pastel to stop it from messing up my work.

 

The health and safety, I covered throughout this project was; Always make you’re your area is clean and tidy, before you use it. Including, when using Puff Binder you need to be careful with the heat gun. Because the heat gun can get warm very quickly, also you need to keep some distance between the buff binder and the gun. If you go too close to the buff binder, the heat gun will burn the buff binder. With Lino printing, you need to make sure you have protective clothing. Such as; aprons, gloves and long hair must be tied back. Because the coloured ink will stain your skin and clothing, for a long time. Even when you’re ready to use the roller, to create your print. You must be careful when the turning the wheel to make the print go through. Because you must make sure, the paper is placed down correctly and the cover is down for the print to work. During the peer assessment, I reviewed my feedback and began working on the comments people gave me. Like try to be more creative, especially with experimentation and keep adding missing work. When it came to our customer critiques, the review I received was to experiment more. Which afterwards, I did some more research then started my experimentations. Overall, I do believe that I could have continuing doing more experimentations. My strengths throughout this project, I would say it would be my painting techniques. Because for my final piece I created a canvas, the detail was very hard and the colours I had to mix plenty of times to make sure I had the exact colour. The paints I used was mostly watercolours but with thick detail such as; outlines or brighter colours. To give it more depth and stand out.

 

I was tired of looking at William Morris’s work. Because his work wasn’t really inspiring me. So I looked more into Eyvind Earle’s work and created a Pinterest board with some of his work. Then, I chose a simple and dark image which was called ‘Grey Mountains.’ On this image it shows two mountains and a bare tree on the left.

The reason why I chose this image. Is because it was a dark piece and I had the idea to add some flower patterns from William Morris’s work to brighten the image up. If I had to do this project again, I would try more experimentations and don’t give up of my ideas. Because there was various times, when I wanted to create something but was afraid that it wouldn’t look good. New skills I would say I have learnt, throughout this project would be experimenting William Morris’s colours. Because his colours was mostly Browns, Greens, Greys, Blues. Furthermore, I learnt more when I began using the buff binder and felt more confident using it.

 

Things that went well was; my painting of ‘Three Noble Horses’ by Eyvind Earle. This painting is my favourite piece. Because I used brush strokes and created the exact colours as Eyvind used, when he created this piece. My first canvas I created, I designed sheets on how I wanted the canvas to look. On this canvas I used collaging and buff binder. I do think I could have added different media onto the canvas, make it look more creative. But overall, I am happy with it especially with the collaging. I even bought some collage pieces to add onto the canvas. Lastly, my second canvas I am really impressed. Because of the time I put into it and adding all the fine detail around the edges of the canvas. Which by the time I did the first edge, I was ready to give up because my wrist began to hurt. I managed to pull through and continue finishing the canvas. On this canvas my best part would be the mountains in the background. Because with the mountains I blended and mixed Blacks, Grey and Blues to create the shading and colours. Things what went wrong was; myself. Because throughout this project it was getting boring and dragging on. Which made me give up, on creating more sheets and experimentations. When I could have pushed myself a little more on getting these done.

 

I managed my time well, there was some occasions I began to panic. Because various pieces wasn’t finished and we had to add other pieces in our sketchbooks, folders and other activities. Which I began to think, these would hold me back and I wouldn’t finish in time. But thankfully, we was granted more time to finish our pieces. Plus, I took work home to get them finished such as; canvas’s. Eventually, I completed my pieces even before the deadline. Which I am very happy with myself. Honestly, I don’t think I have met the brief. Because you have to show experimentations and talk about your work. Which I am not confident at doing, I believe I have met the brief at 70%.  Every piece I created throughout this project, I only made sure I took photos and added them onto my blog. I strongly believe my blog is up to a good standard.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment