Tuesday 26 May 2015

'FMP' Evaluation - Unwanted Beauty

The start of this project, my focus was to look and research into collage artists. Last two years in my previous projects, I have always been curious on how people create collages and what makes them so interesting to look at.

Beginning of my research was simple and easy, by searching online and looking at various collage artists for my secondary research. I came across two artists; Sandhi Schimmel Gold and Samuel Price. I did struggle on how my primary research at home, which was to take photographs of my dogs and family members. This fits into both of my chosen artists, with Sandhi collaging portraits of humans and Samuel portraits dogs. Once my photographs were taken, I would then sketch them out into my sketchbook before collaging.

Developing my research, I viewed many websites to receive the best and possible facts about my chosen artists. Also, to push my primary research a little further. I looked into 'photo editing', using apps such as; be funky, fotor and pixlr. There were many backgrounds, effects, text and colours you could add to your images.

The elements I proceeded with was the style, these two artists use to create their work. Such as; Sandhi creates her work by using a painting version of her image, then proceeding with collating on top. However, Samuel uses square paper. To help him, find the shape and the size on how he wants his portrait.

In my opinion the constraints for me, throughout this project was money and timing. Most of the scrap paper was used from unwanted materials in my classroom. And the other half was bought; I could have bought  more of my own resources. With some of the materials I used in my classroom, weren't enough and some of the colours I needed wasn't there. So I would say, I did struggle and could have produced better portrait collages. Showing people the best of my creativity. Furthermore, my timing wasn't good even though I have managed to create my final pieces. Because half of the time, I began to panic that I would not get my work completed. But with that time I could have created some samples in the workshop.

Mostly my experimentation was using different materials and styles on my collages. Like; buttons, textured paper and a hole punched to create a different shape. The skills required in photography, when needed to edit a photo using the various options. Like; effects, backgrounds, text and size.

At the start of the project, I was told there weren't any sketchbook or any folders. I preferred to buy my own equipment for this project. With it being the last and final project. Visiting many stores, I finally managed to buy all the equipment I needed.

My chosen artists influenced me a lot, seeing how easy these artists create their work. Including the time and patience they have, which fascinates me knowing you can create something so amazing. Furthermore, they both use the same shape for collaging their portraits 'Square'. And then form their portraits together, like a jigsaw.

Working a lot through my sketchbook and creating some great places. I have always wanted to create pieces of work on canvases. Especially, looking back to last year when I created a painted canvas. Looking back to the time and patience I used on that canvas was worth it. Instead of using an A3 canvas, like the one I used last year. I wanted to stay small and original. Especially, with my media being 'collage', I didn't feel positive of creating a big piece. Secondly, I looked through my.photographs of my dogs and family members on my mobile phone. Eventually, I chose two, outstanding photos. They have a good, clear background. Focusing well at the camera, also in my opinion these photos would look great in art.

Not forgetting my blog, I kept my blog going throughout this project and well up to date.

Overall, I did challenge myself with this project. Because the timing and patience you need for this type of media. I am very happy with the work, I have produced. I strongly believe I have done well, for this type of project. I would improve on creating some sample work. And possibly add more detail on the collage itself. Making sure people would know what I am showing in my work.

Things I would do differently would be, to not only collage but paint instead. For example; one canvas showing a painting or painted version and the other in collage.

No comments:

Post a Comment